Solva Memorial Hall – Update

Please enter banners and links.

Solva Memorial Hall was built in 1812 as a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel – the second non-conformist place of worship in Solva, after Zion Chapel (Capel Ucha’) in 1798. Many more followed: the Calvinistic Methodist Chapel in 1815; the Baptist (Capel Bach) in 1816; Mount Pleasant in 1864; and finally Capel y Cwm in 1887. Prior to this, records show there had been a Vicar in Whitchurch since 1351, which is where the inhabitants of Solva would have worshipped.
The village grew, its population increased and St Aidans church opened in 1879 in Solva as a “chapel of ease”. The Wesleyan Methodist chapel became a British school, which eventually merged with the national school, located above the memorial cross, but the additional places of worship plus the moving of the school meant that it struggled in the 1890s and eventually closed in 1903. After WW1 monies were raised for a Memorial Hall. In 1921 foundation stones were laid for a rear extension (Main Hall) of the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel and it opened in 1922.
Today Solva Memorial Hall is busy and active, catering for a host of activities in the village. It can be hired for both private and commercial functions: wedding receptions, dinner dances, parties, concerts, meetings, training and
conferences, community events, art classes, exhibitions, fashion shows, dances, fitness classes and stage / cinema productions. It is a fantastic venue and the charges are very reasonable. New contact details: phone: 07943175485 email: solvahall@btinternet.com, website: solvamemorialhall.co.uk.